In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “Can expired chips make you sick?” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of chips. Moreover, we are going to discuss the methods to keep your chips fresh.
Can expired chips make you sick?
No, expired chips can not make you sick. But after the expiry date chips lose their quality and taste. So if you are okay with that then you may eat the expired chips, they won’t make you sick. But if you see any mold on it then it’s not safe to eat.
How long do chips last after the expiration date?
If chips are stored properly then they can last for several months. Chips should be stored away from sunlight in cool and dry places. However, if chips are not stored properly then the flavor and texture will be changed. It should also be stored in an airtight container.
Are chips safe to eat after the expiration date?
Chips can not be stored more than 6 months after the expiration date has passed. Chips can be stored in an airtight container to avoid loss of moisture and maintain their texture and quality. Otherwise, chips will lose their flavor and texture. It is recommended to store in cool and dry places away from sunlight.
For how long do chips last?
Chips usually expire after two years of their manufacturing date. Chips stored in a refrigerator or a freezer will last longer whereas the chips that are not refrigerated or frozen will last about six months.
Can expired chips give you food poisoning?
Expired chips can cause food poisoning which includes nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, pain in the abdomen, headache, dizziness, confusion, weakness, seizures, and respiratory failure.
What should we do if chips look good but don’t smell alright?
If you see chips that look good but smell bad, don’t eat them. It could be poisonous to you. It can have different bacteria that can make you sick.
Can you eat the chips that have mold if you removed the affected part?
Yes, you may eat the chips that have mold if the affected part is removed. But it depends on how long it remains in the fridge. If you remove it immediately from the fridge and remove the affected part then you can use it.
But if you leave the moldy chips in the fridge for a longer time then the chips are completely spoiled and you should immediately discard them besides eating them.
How to make Homemade potato chips?
Chips can be prepared at home by the following method.
- 7 unpeeled medium-sized potatoes
- 2 quarts of ice water
- 5 teaspoons of salt
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons of celery salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons of pepper
- Oil required for deep frying
- Cut the potatoes into thin slices by using a vegetable peeler. In the bowl place these potatoes in ice water and salt and soak for 30 minutes.
- Then remove the water from the potatoes and leave them to dry on a paper towel. In another bowl, mix the garlic powder, celery salt, and pepper.
- In a heavy skillet, heat the oil to 375°. Fry potatoes for 3 to 4 minutes with frequent stirring until they turn golden brown.
- Remove chips from oil and drain them on a paper towel. Sprinkle seasoning mixture on the chips immediately and store in an airtight container.
Here are some recipes of chips you may try at home and enjoy.
What are the best methods for keeping chips fresh?
- Always store your chips in cool and dry places.
- For best results store them in a sealed container.
- Make sure that there should be no rips or tears on the bag that will allow the outside air to come in. Roll the bag tightly to seal.
- When you open the bag or container to get chips then make sure to seal properly again.
- The longer the chips are open and surrounded by air there are more chances of chips to lose quality and texture.
How to seal chips to keep them fresh?
- Seal your chips bag by removing air from it and rolling the bag from top to down.
- You can close your bag by using a chip clip and if you don’t have any chip clip then you may use a paper clip or a clothespin.
- Can also seal your chips in a Ziploc-style by using a Ziploc bag.
- You can also store chips in an air-tight container.
In this brief study, we answered the question “Can expired chips make us sick?” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of chips. Moreover, we also discussed the methods to keep your chips fresh.