In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question” Can potatoes cause constipation?” with an in-depth analysis of foods that cause constipation. Moreover, we are going to highlight the foods that can help to prevent constipation.
Can potatoes cause constipation?
No, potatoes don’t cause constipation. One medium-baked sweet potato with skin having 3.8 grams of fiber can help to prevent constipation.
Regular baked potatoes are good options to prevent constipation.
Try to avoid high fat, high-calorie toppings such as butter or sour cream, which can make your constipation worse. To prevent constipation, you should add more fiber to your baked potato by topping it with other veggies such as broccoli.
Foods that cause constipation:
When it comes to constipation foods to avoid, bananas are a conundrum.
- Unripe bananas can cause constipation
- Ripe bananas can help relieve constipation.
2. Chewing gum:
If you accidentally swallow several pieces of gum with other indigestible foods such as seeds, this can create a mass that in rare cases, blocks the digestive tract. This digestive blockage can cause constipation.
Like bananas, caffeine can go either way.
- Caffeine is known as a stimulant that can make a person have more bowel stools or in excess, diarrhea.
- If a person has the problem of dehydration, the caffeine present in coffee, black tea, colas, and chocolate can make constipation worse.
- Gluten is a protein.
- Wheat, rye, and barley contain gluten
- Gluten doesn’t cause constipation in everyone but it can cause constipation for some people who have sensitivity or allergies to it, or who have an autoimmune disorder called celiac disease.
5. White rice:
White rice can cause constipation.
- White rice can cause constipation. As in white rice the husk, bran, and germ have been removed. It has fibers and nutrients
- Brown rice can help you to relieve constipation because the husk, bran, and germ have not been removed.
Sweet persimmons are usually safe to eat, but more astringent persimmons contain high amounts of tannins, which can slow the movement of food through the intestine, and aggravate constipation.
7. Red meat:
There are many reasons why you should avoid red meat. Red meat can cause constipation.
- Has high-fat contents, so it takes longer for the digestive tract to process it
- Contains tough protein fibers which the stomach can face difficulty digesting.
- Has high iron contents, which can be the reason for constipation.
8. White bread:
- Whole-grain bread can help you to prevent constipation.
- White bread can cause or worsen constipation.
The other products with a lot of white flour can also worse constipation such as:
Just like caffeine, alcohol can also cause constipation. For example, alcohol
- is dehydrating, and
- It can slow the process of digestion and irritate the bowel, which can worsen constipation symptoms.
Chocolate is not safe to eat for people who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Chocolate contains a large amount of fat that can slow the digestion process. It occurs due to slowing down muscle contractions (peristalsis) and thus slowing foods moving through the bowel.
11. Some supplements:
Many people want to become healthy and for this purpose, they take iron and calcium supplements, but the same supplements could be the cause of constipation. Ideally, a healthy and balanced diet should have all nutrients which can make a person healthy.
Foods that may help to prevent constipation:
For many people, eating more high-fiber foods can help to relieve constipation. These foods include:
- Carrots, peas, broccoli, and okra
- Some fruits such as apples, pears, berries, avocados, and oranges
- Whole grains for example whole oats, buckwheat, and millet
- Brown bread, pasta, and rice
Some specific types of foods that may help to relieve constipation include:
- Kiwi fruit:
According to a 2014 article that looked at foods kiwi fruit can help with constipation. According to this article, green kiwi fruit increased the frequency and softness of bowel movements.
According to a 2014 article prunes can have a laxative effect. However, prunes are known for a high FODMAP diet, which may make them unsuitable for people with IBS.
- Fruit juices:
Unsweetened fruit juice may be especially helpful for those whose digestive systems are not yet matured like young children. Apple, pear, or prune juices are great sources of fiber content and they help increase fluid intake.
Here, you can find 14 foods that can help you to prevent constipation.
In this brief guide, we answered the question” Can potatoes cause constipation?” with an in-depth analysis of foods that cause constipation and the foods that help to prevent constipation.