In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “Can you eat cassowary meat?” with an in-depth analysis of the uses, advantages and disadvantages of eating cassowary meat. Moreover, we are going to discuss the recipe for cassowary meat.
Can you eat cassowary meat?
Yes! You can eat cassowary meat. Cassowary meat is very tough meat, that’s why it requires a lot of effort to cook it.
You need to boil the meat for several hours before cooking it.
It also has a very strong taste that’s why people who eat it for the first time may feel dizzy.
What are cassowaries?
Cassowaries are long-necked, flightless birds that are found in Australia and New Guinea.
The meat of these birds is very flavourful and eaten by people called cassowary meat.
What is cassowary meat?
Cassowary meat is obtained from the cassowary birds which are found only in Australia and New Guinea.
These birds are considered the third largest birds in the world.
A variety of meat cuts are made by using cassowary meat such as;
- stewing blocks
- ground meat
What are the uses of the cassowaries?
Some of the uses of the cassowaries are as follows;
- Cassowaries are highly traded for pigs.
- The meat of the cassowaries is used in several recipes.
- Cassowaries also give eggs.
- The ecological balance of the rainforest is also maintained with the help of cassowaries.
What are the characteristics of cassowary meat?
Following are the characteristics of the cassowary meat;
The cassowary meat has a very strong flavor which seems to match the flavor of the meat.
The cassowary meat used to be very tough.
How to cook cassowary meat?
If you want to cook the cassowary meat, you should keep in mind the following tips;
- First of all, tenderize the cassowary meat using a meat mallet. It will break down the tough muscle fibers present in it.
- The breakdown of these tough muscles will make it easy for you to cook the meat in less time.
- You can add marinades to tenderize your cassowary meat. It consists of several acids and salts which not just tenderize the meat but also add flavors to it.
- Cut the large slices of the meat against the grains of the cassowary meat.
- Because the meat is cut parallel, it results in the meat being tougher and it takes much more time to cook.
Where do cassowaries live?
Cassowaries are found in the rainforests because they need large amounts of fruits for their survival as food.
Cassowaries also live in;
What are the Health benefits of cassowary meat?
Cassowary meat isn’t available easily as cassowary birds aren’t found commonly but it has some health benefits.
Some of the health benefits of cassowary meat are as follows;
- Some essentials are found in rich amounts in cassowary meat which are required by the human body.
- Some of such nutrients include zinc, protein and iron etc.
- Proteins are present in the meat of the cassowary that helps in building and enlarging the muscle mass.
- This is beneficial in making your muscles strong.
- It is also said that cassowary meat is beneficial, is frightening against several carcinogenic elements and prevents you from several types of cancer.
What are the disadvantages of eating cassowary meat?
Some of the disadvantages of using cassowary meat are as follows;
- Cassowary meat is very tough meat and it requires a lot of energy and time for its cooking which makes its usage difficult.
- Another disadvantage is that cassowary meat increases the risk of heart diseases.
- The risk of heart disease increases highly because of the presence of large amounts of fats and cholesterol in it.
Here are some of the hidden facts about the cassowaries.
What are the recipes for cassowary meat?
There are many recipes to prepare cassowary meat in several delicious ways.
One of the recipes for cassowary meat is the preparation of “Cassowary Thai Omelet”.
You can cook it in the following way;
Following are the ingredients that are needed to make cassowary Thai Omelet;
- 1 Cassowary egg
- 2 Scallions/Spring Onions
- 2 Garlic Cloves, skinned and chopped
- 1/2 Cup Cream
- Salt and White Pepper
- Sweet chili sauce
- Oyster sauce
- Lettuce leaves (Iceberg preferably)
- Salmon Eggs or caviar
- Beat the ingredients and put them in a non_sticky pan.
- Cook it by putting it in the oven.
- Turn out the lettuce leaves and add oyster and chillies sauce onto the Omelet.
- Roll the Omelet in the plastic and put it into the fridge.
- Season with salmon eggs or caviar.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “Can you eat cassowary meat?” with an in-depth analysis of the uses, advantages and disadvantages of eating cassowary meat. Moreover, we discussed the recipe for cassowary meat.