Can you eat chapstick?

In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question” Can you eat chapstick?” with an in-depth analysis of the drawbacks of using chapstick. Moreover, we are going to highlight the toxic ingredients present in chapstick and the symptoms after eating chapstick.

Can you eat chapstick?

No, you can’t eat chapstick. Chapstick is known as a lip balm product that comes in different flavors. People use it to protect their lips from chapping and cracking. As it contains alcohol, It is not recommended to consume it. Alcohol dries out the skin and causes cracks and peeling.

It is available in different forms such as stick form, tube form, and liquid form. Its ingredients are beeswax, shea butter, vitamin E, aloe vera gel, glycerin, and peppermint extract. 

It protects your lips from dryness and chapping. It contains different flavors such as strawberry, vanilla, chocolate, mint, orange, grapefruit, raspberry, cherry, coconut, mango, peppermint, and others.

Drawbacks of using chapstick:

People use chapstick to protect their lips from chapping and cracking. You can apply it after meals and during exercise. You can buy it in different forms such as lip balm, lip gloss, lipstick, lip liner, lip plumper, lip stain, lip pencil, lip gloss, lip liner, lip stain, lip plumper, and lip pencil. Lipsticks are widely used because they last longer on lips and provide your lips better protection against moisture loss. However, for people who suffer from dry skin, lipsticks are not suitable for them.  If you are using chapstick for daily use, it is safe for you but if you are allergic to any ingredient contained in chapstick, consult your doctor.

Toxicity level:

Usually Nontoxic

Also known as:

Chapstick, lip balm, lip liner, lipstick.

What it is:

Ingredients present in lip products vary between types. Chapstick includes oils, waxes, perfumes, coloring agents, pigments, lanolin, antioxidants, preservatives, and emulsifying agents.

Possible symptoms of Overdose/Poisoning:

You could have an episode of vomiting, loose stool, or mild diarrhea.

What to do?

If your child is not showing symptoms, give them water.

Toxicity:

If you have eaten small amounts, then it is not toxic.

What are the side effects of eating chapstick?

If you have eaten chapstick, you can see the following signs:

  • You can have allergic reactions like rash, hives, itching, red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever.
  • Wheezing
  • Tightness in the chest or throat
  • Trouble in breathing, swallowing or talking
  • Unusual hoarseness
  • You can face swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Can eating chapstick give you cancer?

There’s a myth in people’s minds that the shine in a lip gloss or chapstick allows the rays of the sun to penetrate more in lips and then increases the risk of skin cancer. 

 

Why is chapstick bad for you?

If you are licking your lips or applying a type of thin gloss, balm, or anything out of a tube to supplement. This moisture may sound like a good idea, but it can be the worst thing you do for them. Because applying thin gloss can lead to further dehydration. Some lip balms have toxic ingredients that can be irritating or drying and can be harmful to you.

Can Babies Eat Chapstick?

The substance that is ingested could cause an upset stomach or loose stool if enough is swallowed. There is no reason to panic when you find someone holding a chapstick. Make sure they drink some water and cover their mouths with a soft, wet cloth to remove the tube.

Make sure only infant and maternal lip balms pass safety tests and avoid adult balms for babies. If lip balm is containing natural ingredients and not chemicals similar to adult lip balms then it is suitable for babies and infants, this shouldn’t include the same chemicals.

 

Is Chapstick Bad For Toddlers?

Lip balm or chapstick in markets for toddlers usually comes at a reasonable price. Indeed, most chapsticks will not break. These chapsticks don’t contain toxic ingredients and don’t cause any issues considering their ingredients list, they are not as harmful but eating them can be harmful to them.

Chapstick is a dangerous chemical compound for infants and children less than two years of age. You don’t need to wipe the milk bottles each time, which ensures safety for new mothers. As a topical treatment for both skin inflammation and barrier-building, you can administer lanolin to the baby’s lips at least every two hours during the day.

Here, you can know how to cure chapped lips.

Conclusion:

In this brief guide, we answered the question” Can you eat chapstick?” with an in-depth analysis of its ingredients. Moreover, we discussed the side effects of eating chapstick.

Citations:

https://mutsy.com/is-it-bad-for-a-baby-to-eat-chapstick#:~:text=seek%20medical%20assistance.-,Is%20It%20Ok%20To%20Swallow%20Chapstick%3F,accidental%20lip%20swelling%20if%20swallowed.
https://www.illinoispoisoncenter.org/my-child-ate/lip-products

What was missing from this post which could have made it better?

Leave a Comment