In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “Can you get sick from eating expired almonds?” with an in-depth analysis of health issues caused by eating bad almonds. Moreover, we are going to discuss the signs of bad almonds and the storage of almonds.
Can you get sick from eating expired almonds?
Expired almonds are off-smell and off-taste, but they don’t make you sick if you have used them for a short time.
However, if expired almonds have been used for a longer period cause serious health issues.
What are the health issues caused by eating expired almonds for a long time?
Long term use of almonds is detrimental for your health causing several health issues such as;
Long term usage of expired almonds results in increasing the number of free radicals in the body.
These free radicals are involved in damaging cells, proteins and DNA in the body.
If expired almonds have been used for a longer period, they can also cause gastrointestinal problems.
Almonds are also rich in the amount of oil present in them, that’s why with time mem becomes rancid.
The fat also breaks down and the resulting products make the almonds smell and taste bad.
That’s why it is always advised to use the almonds before or by the expiry date to make their usage safe for your health.
Should almonds be consumed by the expiry date?
You might have noticed that usually best by or best before date is mentioned on the packets of the almonds.
This date isn’t an expiration date.
This best by or best before date shows that almonds are of tie this date.
But you can still use the almonds if this date has been passed, but only if the almonds haven’t turned rancid or bad and they are stored properly.
What are the signs of almonds?
If you want to know whether your almonds have gone bad or not, you can do it easily by noticing several signs.
You just have to consider the taste, smell, color and texture of the almonds as told below;
Other almonds are turned bad or not, first of all, smell them.
If they smell rancid or nutty, it means they are bad and you shouldn’t consume them.
If the color of your almonds have turned dark or you notice any dark spots on your almonds, it means they have turned bad and cannot be used anymore.
If the texture of the almonds seems brittle or wrinkled, it is also a clear indication that your almonds have gone bad.
Taste is another indicator to check the rancidity of the almonds.
If the almonds taste bitter, it means that they have gone bad.
How to properly store almonds?
- The best way to properly store almonds is to keep them in the refrigerator or freezer.
- It is not advised to keep your almonds at room temperature in the pantry.
- But you can get almonds out of the fridge for one or two days and keep the rest of them in the fridge.
- But moisture can damage their freshness and taste, therefore always store them in an airtight container.
- You can store almonds in a vacuum-sealed container and keep them in the fridge.
- Or you can put them in a plastic bag and put them in the freezer, but make sure to remove their shells before storing them using a plastic bag in the freezer.
What is the shelf life of the almonds?
The shelf life of the almonds depends on the types of almonds as well as their method of storage.
According to the Almond Board of California, the shelf life of almonds depends on the way of their production, processing and packing.
- Almond paste if it has been refrigerated can last for two or two and half years.
- Natural almonds can also be stored and kept fresh for two years or more in the fridge or freezer.
- Roasted almonds also stay good for a year in the refrigerator or freezer. But make sure to use an airtight container to store them in the fridge or freezer.
What is the nutritional value of almonds?
A 1-ounce (28-gram) serving of almonds have the nutritional value as follows:
- Fiber: 3.5 grams
- Protein: 6 grams
- Fat: 14 grams
- Vitamin E: 37% of the RDI
- Manganese: 32% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 20% of the RDI
- Almonds also have a decent amount of copper, vitamin B2 (riboflavin) and phosphorus.
Here are the health benefits of almonds.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “Can you get sick from eating expired almonds?” with an in-depth analysis of health issues caused by eating bad almonds. Moreover, we discussed the signs of bad almonds and the store age of almonds.