In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “Do lentils go bad?” with an in-depth analysis of signs of bad lentils, the storage and nutritional value of the lentils. Moreover, we are going to discuss the tips to cook lentils.
Do lentils go bad?
No, lentils don’t go bad usually if they are properly stored as they are dry.
The dryness prevents the growth of bacteria over them, that’s why they can be kept for a long period.
What are the signs of lentils?
There are ways to properly store the dried and cooked lentils.
If lentils have not been properly stored they can go bad.
Signs for the dried bad lentils are as follows;
- Molds grew over the surface
- Unpleasant or off smell
Signs for the cooked bad lentils are as follows;
- Molds grew over lentils
Signs of one bad canned lentils are as follows;
- Rusted or leaked cans
- Discolouration of some parts
Can dried lentils expire?
Yes! dried lentils expire after 2_3 years. However, they remain good for 2_3 years if properly stored.
That’s why you should store it in a cool, dry place. Also, try to avoid making contact with direct sunlight.
You should use an airtight container to keep them for a longer time.
How to properly store lentils?
There are different methods to store the dried, cooked and canned lentils so that they can be protected from going bad.
The storage of lentils defines their shelf life, that’s why they must be properly stored.
Storage of dried and cooked lentils:
Keep in mind the following instructions while storing the dry lentils;
- Store the dry lentils in an airtight container in a cool dry place.
- In this way, they will last for up to a year.
- If you have cooked the dried lentils, you should cover them and put them in the fridge.
- In the fridge, the shelf life of cooked lentils is 5_7 days.
- If you want to store them for a longer period of 6 months, you can freeze the dried lentils.
Storage of canned lentils:
Follow the tips given below to properly store the canned lentils;
- Store the unopened canned lentils in the cool, dry pantry for up to a year.
- Once you have opened the canned lentils and rinsed them, you should keep them in an airtight container and put them in the fridge.
- In this way, such lentils will last for 3_4 days there.
- If you wanna store cooked canned lentils for a long period of 2 months you can freeze them.
- When freezing the lentils, put them in an airtight container and then keep them in the fridge.
How to buy lentils?
Keep in mind the following things while buying the lentils;
- Dried lentils are cheaper than canned lentils and also have a longer shelf life.
- But canned lentils are good to buy in the sense that they can be used easily, just open the car, rinse the lentils and use them in your cooking.
- If you can store lentils, then you should buy them when they are on the seal in large amounts and store them.
What is the nutritional value of the lentils?
Different types of lentils have a slight difference in their nutritional value.
Generally, the nutritional value for a cup(198g) of cooked lentils is as follows;
- Calories: 230
- Carbs: 39.9 grams
- Protein: 17.9 grams
- Fat: 0.8 grams
- Fiber: 15.6 grams
- Thiamine: 28% of the DV
- Niacin: 13% of the DV
- Vitamin B6: 21% of the DV
- Folate: 90% of the DV
- Pantothenic acid: 25% of the DV
- Iron: 37% of the DV
- Magnesium: 17% of the DV
- Phosphorus: 28% of the DV
- Potassium: 16% of the DV
- Zinc: 23% of the DV
- Copper: 55% of the DV
- Manganese: 43% of the DV
Here are the health benefits of using lentils.
How should lentils be cooked?
You can cook the lentils in the following way;
- Usually, you see small rocks like debris mixed in the lentils when you buy them.
- You should avoid eating debris, so for that purpose, rinse the lentils well first.
- Shriveled lentils should also be thrown off before cooking.
- Then you should simmer the lentils.
- Put water in a pot and boil it, then add lentils to it and let them tender.
- The time taken by the lentils for cooking depends on the type of lentils that you are using.
- You can also season the lentils with lemon juice, Dijon mustard, fresh herbs, red pepper flakes etc to make their taste delicious.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “Do lentils go bad?” with an in-depth analysis of signs of bad lentils, the storage and nutritional value of the lentils. Moreover, we discussed the tips to cook the lentils.