In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question“How long do black olives last in the fridge?” with an in-depth analysis of “How to store black olives?”Moreover, we are going to discuss the health benefits of black olives.
How long do black olives last in the fridge?
If black olives have been kept in the fridge then you can consume them for 12-18 months.
The shelf life of black olives depends on the storage conditions.
How to store black olives?
Black olives must be stored properly to prevent their spoilage. You can keep black olives in the fridge, refrigerator, or pantry
Storage in Pantry:
- If you have to store the unopened jar of the black olives then the pantry is the right place for them. In the pantry, you can store an unopened jar of black olives for a year.
- However, once you open the jar then the pantry isn’t the right option to store them. An opened jar of black olives can be stored only for 3-5 days in the pantry.
Storage in Refrigerator:
- If you have opened the jar of black olives then you should prefer to store them in the refrigerator to increase their shelf life.
- The black olives stored in the fridge can be consumed for 12-18 months.
- However, before storing black olives in the fridge, immerse them in the brine or liquid and then pack in an airtight container.
- Then you can store them in the fridge. It will keep them fresh.
Storage in the Freezer:
- Black olives can be stored in the freezer for 2 years. While freezing black olives, follow the steps given below to keep them fresh and increase their shelf life.
- Wash the black olives with cold water to get rid of any germs attached to them.
- Dry the black olives for 15-20 minutes. Drying is a very important step. You can use a paper towel to dry them.
- Then pack the black olives in an airtight container to avoid their spoilage due to air.
- Once you follow all the instructions given above, you can freeze the black olives.
What is the Shelf life of black olives?
Depending on the storage method the shelf life of black olives is given below:
- In freezer 2 years
- In refrigerator 1-1.5 years
- With preservatives 1 year
- In the pantry, when open 3-5 days In the pantry, unopened 1 year
Can You Put Black Olives in Brine Before Freezing?
Yes! You can put black olives in brine or salty solution to keep their texture right in the storage period before you freeze them.
Follow these steps to put the black olives in brine:
- Put olives and brine solution in a pan.
- Boil for 15 minutes and dispose of the liquid.
- Place the boiled olives in cold water and let them cool.
- Remove all the water and put black olives in the airtight container.
- Now freeze them.
How do you know that black olives have gone bad?
Black olives can go bad, so before you use them you must know whether they are edible or not.
Followings are the signs that let us know that our black olives have gone bad;
- Awful smell
- Black spots or mold
- Unpleasant taste
Don’t use black olives if you notice any such sign.
Health benefits of black Olives:
There are several health benefits of black olives. Some of them are given below;
- Black olives are rich in dietary fibers.
- Soluble fiber helps in lowering blood cholesterol and glucose levels.
- Insoluble fiber adds bulk to your stool and increases the movement of material through your digestive system thus helping in promoting digestion.
- It also helps in maintaining a healthy weight.
- Ripe olive contains about 3 milligrams of iron per 100-gram serving.
- Iron is required by the body for making myoglobin and hemoglobin and it also makes up part of many important proteins.
- Iron also helps in producing ATP(Adenosine Triphosphate) which is the main energy source in the body.
- Olives also contain vitamin E which protects the cells from the bad effects of free radicals.
- Vitamin E also contributes to boosting immune function, regulation of gene expression, cell signaling and other important metabolic processes.
- It also helps in preventing blood clotting and heart diseases.
Promotes Cardiovascular Health:
- Black olives contain high amounts of healthy monounsaturated fats.
- Monounsaturated fats can help us in reducing bad cholesterol levels in the blood.
- It ultimately lowers the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Monounsaturated fatty acids also help in maintaining insulin levels and blood sugar control.
Here are several recipes of black olives that you can try and enjoy.
Although black olives have greater health benefits they should be overused because they are higher in sodium chloride and calories.
So, limiting the intake of olives is necessary to prevent the problem of high blood pressure.
In this brief guide, we answered the question“How long do black olives last in the fridge?” with an in-depth analysis of “How to store black olives?”Moreover, we discussed the health benefits of black olives.