In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “How long does smoothie last in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of smoothie. Moreover, we are going to discuss the different ways to spot spoiled smoothies.
So without much ado, let’s dive in and figure out more about it.
How long does a smoothie last in the fridge?
Smoothie lasts in the fridge for 1-2 days if kept at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit in an air-tight bottle on one of the refrigerator’s shelves.
It’s worth noting that the values given above are for the smoothie’s expected shelf life.
What is the best temperature to keep smoothies at?
The smoothie should be kept at 40 degrees Fahrenheit or lower at all times. Bacterial development is more rapid between the temperatures of 40 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit, therefore it’s best to keep your smoothie at a lower temperature to keep it fresh for longer.
How long does smoothie last at room temperature?
When kept at room temperature, a smoothie lasts for around 2 hours.
Because bacterial growth occurs at a quicker rate between 40 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit, smoothies left out for more than 2 hours should be discarded.
Furthermore, if the surrounding temperature is around 90 degrees Fahrenheit, the rotting process is accelerated, and smoothie left out in the open for more than an hour at such temperature should be discarded.
How long does a smoothie last in the freezer?
Smoothie lasts for 3 months in the freezer if stored in an airtight plastic freezer bag, although it is best consumed within 1-2 months for the best quality and taste.
As a result, freezing the smoothie extends its shelf life significantly due to the freezer’s low temperature, which inhibits bacterial growth on the smoothie.
How to defrost frozen smoothies?
You can quickly defrost the frozen smoothie by placing it in the refrigerator overnight, and a thawed smoothie can be stored in the refrigerator for 1-2 days before consuming it.
If you’re defrosting frozen smoothie in a bowl of cold water, or on the counter, you should utilize it right away.
What are different ways to spot spoiled smoothies?
There are a few clear indicators that indicate if your smoothie has gone bad. To determine if smoothie has gone bad, look at its appearance, texture, taste, and smell.
If you see mold or other organic growth on your smoothie or if it is discolored, it’s time to throw it out.
If the smoothie has curdled or has lumps in it, it’s time to throw it out.
If you smell something sour or foul while sniffing your smoothie, it’s time to throw it out.
You can taste the smoothie when it has passed the visual and smell tests. If you notice a sour or bitter taste after taking a little sip of smoothie, it is a sign that the creamer has gone bad.
Thus, if the microbes have somehow gotten into your smoothie and spoiled it, the best thing you can do is throw it out.
How to make the best smoothies?
- The easiest way to keep the smoothie cool and thick is to use frozen fruit. Because ice doesn’t always blend smoothly, it’s preferable to avoid it until absolutely required.
- In smoothie recipes, you can use whichever milk you like (almond milk, coconut milk, etc.) according to your preferences.
- If your smoothie is too thick or won’t fully blend, don’t be afraid to add extra liquid.
- You can add a 1/2 tablespoon of honey, pure maple syrup, or 1 pitted Medjool date to a smoothie if it isn’t sweet enough for you.
- To help mix all of the ingredients, start the blender on low and gradually increase to high. Finally, combine on low speed to finish.
How to properly store smoothies?
- Smoothies should be stored on one of the refrigerator shelves rather than the door, as there is a lot of temperature variation at the fridge door, which might affect its quality.
- Because microscopic organisms grow quickly at temperatures between 40°F and 140°F, it is best to refrigerate the smoothie, within 2 hours it is prepared, in airtight containers to extend its shelf life while keeping its quality.
- If you wish to extend the shelf life of the smoothie, store it in an air-tight bottle or plastic zipper bag in the freezer. A smoothie that has been frozen at 0°C is safe to use for extremely long periods.
- Smoothies should also be kept away from strong-smelling foods like garlic and onions.
You can read how to make a smoothie here.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “How long does smoothie last in the fridge” with an in-depth analysis of the shelf life of smoothie. Moreover, we discussed the different ways to spot spoiled smoothies.