In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How many cups of rice for 50 people?” as well as provide information on tips to cook rice for a large crowd, rice to water ratio for 50 people, and how to season rice for a large batch.
How many cups of rice for 50 people?
25 cups of rice would be required for 50 people. This is because per person, the serving for uncooked rice would be ½ cup.
How to cook rice for a large batch of people?
You can cook rice for a large batch of people easily in an oven. For this purpose, you would need a roasting pan that can hold 10 quarts of rice. Depending on the type of rice, you would have to increase the amount of water being added to cook rice.
You might have to cook the rice in batches if there is a space constraint. You can switch to cooking on a stovetop as well.
Some factors that you need to take care of while cooking for a large number of people are listed below.
Rice to water ratio
Usually, the rice to water ratio would be 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of uncooked rice. This though can differ based on the type of rice being cooked and the quantity of the rice being cooked.
As a result, refer to the chart below to obtain a better understanding of the rice to water ratio.
|Type of rice||Amount of water required to cook rice (1 cup)||Amount of water required to cook rice (25 cups)||Time required to simmer the rice|
|White long-grain rice||2 cups||50 cups||18-20 minutes|
|White medium grain||1 ½ cup||37 ½ cups||15-20 minutes|
|White short grain rice||1 ¼ cups||31 ¼ cups||15-20 minutes|
|Wild rice||2 cups||50 cups||45-50 minutes|
|Brown rice||2 cups||50 cups||50 minutes|
|Basmati||1 ½ cup||37 ½ cups||15-20 minutes|
|Jasmine||1 ¾ cup||43 ¾ cups||15-20 minutes|
|Sushi rice||1 ⅓ cup||33 ⅓ cups||18-20 minutes|
|Parboiled rice||2 ¼ cups||56 ¼ cups||20-25 minutes|
For more information on how much water would be needed to be added to the rice, you can refer to the Rice to water ratio calculator. The cooking time would not change based on the quantity of rice.
Seasoning rice for a large crowd might seem to be daunting especially if you are used to cooking for a smaller group of people. You can add chicken pieces to increase the flavor of your rice.
If you wish for a simpler seasoning, add 2 cups of butter over the rice after the cooking process. You can also add 2 tbsp each of seasonings like paprika, basil, turmeric, and thyme along with salt.
What are some tips to cook rice?
- If the rice does not seem soft enough or if the water content in rice has not yet evaporated, cook it more for 2-5 minutes.
- If the rice seems to have a crunchier texture, add ¼ cup more amount of water and let it cook for a few more minutes.
- Avoid constantly stirring the rice when it is cooked. Stirring constantly can give stickier rice.
- If the rice has been frozen and you need to defrost it, you can do so by placing the rice in a microwave-safe bowl. Add a little bit of water and oil/butter to the rice.
Cover the rice with a paper towel and cook for a minute or two. You can also cook on low heat but stir the rice constantly to prevent them from burning.
If the rice has not warmed up after a minute cook for an additional two to three minutes and keep checking whether the rice is warm after each minute. Stir the rice in between to reduce the occurrence of burning.
- If you want to prevent the hassle of reheating the rice, add directly the frozen rice to soups or casseroles. You can also cook fried rice instead.
- You can cook the rice in batches if you find it difficult to season and cook large amounts of rice.
- If you want to quickly finish cooking rice, choose rice varieties that cook fast like white rice or Basmati.
Other FAQs on rice that you might be interested in.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How many cups of rice for 50 people?” as well as provided information on tips to cook rice for a large crowd, rice to water ratio for 50 people, and how to season rice for a large batch.