In this brief article, we will answer the question, “How many cups of uncooked rice per person?”
How many cups of uncooked rice per person?
½ cup of uncooked rice would need to be prepared per person. Per serving, the amount of uncooked rice would range from 50 to 75 grams.
It is also important to note that uncooked rice doubles in size after it is cooked. This means that 1 cup of uncooked rice would become 2 cups after it has been cooked. ½ a cup of rice would become 1 cup after it has been cooked and would be enough for a single person.
How can rice be cooked?
Rice can either be cooked in a microwave, rice cooker, or it can be steamed or boiled on a stovetop as well.
How can rice be cooked on the stovetop?
- Measure the amount of rice that you wish to cook. You can use a measuring jug for this purpose. Rinse and clean the rice thoroughly.
- Take double the amount of water to the rice. Also, use cold water for cooking the rice. This will ensure that the rice cooks evenly and does not end up being overcooked.
- Place the uncooked rice along with water in a saucepan. Add a little bit of salt to the water to bring about flavor in the rice.
- Cover the saucepan and let the rice cook to a simmer. Avoid cooking in high heat.
- Avoid lifting the lid in between as this would let out the steam and prevent the rice from cooking efficiently.
- After 10-15 minutes, check the softness of the rice using a fork or take a grain of rice between your fingers and press them to check how tender it has become. If the rice has not become tender, it needs to be cooked for a longer time.
This method would be an excellent way to cook Basmati rice or American long rice.
How can rice be steamed?
You can use a steamer to steam the rice. Steamed rice is way fluffier and softer than the ones on the stovetop.
- For steaming the rice, place the raw rice in a colander containing small holes.
- Take a saucepan with boiling water and place the uncooked rice over the saucepan with boiling water. Cover the entire thing with a lid. Make sure to not submerge the rice under boiling water.
- Allow the rice to be steamed for 20-25 minutes and check the softness of the rice using a fork.
How can rice be cooked in a microwave?
- Take a microwave-safe container. Place the white rice along with water in the microwave-safe container. Remember to use double the amount of water for rice.
- Cover the microwave-safe container using a cling film and poke some holes in the cling film.
- Cook the rice on high heat for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, reduce the heat and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes too.
- Cook the rice for an extra two to three minutes, if you feel it has not become softer. Make sure to not burn the rice though.
What is the time required to cook rice?
The time required to cook rice would vary depending on the type of rice. Certain varieties of rice would take longer to cook.
One such variety that takes longer to cook is brown rice. The presence of bran can result in a long time to cook the rice. Approximately 35 to 40 minutes would be required to cook brown rice.
Basmati rice can cook quickly, similar to white rice. This is because it is processed and thinner. It can take 15-20 minutes approximately to cook Basmati rice. Jasmine rice on the other hand can cook in just 15 minutes.
Other FAQs on uncooked rice that you might be interested in.
How much water can be added to cook rice?
Double the amount of rice should be the amount of water added to cook rice. The ratio of rice to water thus would be 2:1. You can use a mug or a cup to measure rice and water.
In the case of brown rice, it would take a longer time to cook the rice because of the presence of higher fiber as a result of bran. So for 1 cup of uncooked brown rice, you would need 1 ¼ cup of water.
How to store rice?
Cooked leftover rice needs to be promptly cooled before placing it in the fridge. Cooked rice can be kept in a sealed container inside the fridge. It can also be frozen in a freezer-safe container.
In this brief article, we have answered the question, “How many cups of uncooked rice per person?”