In the brief guide, we are going to answer the question ‘how to delay start instant pot’ with an in-depth analysis of which methods we used to start it and which precautions we should keep in mind when starting it. Also highlighted which recipes we prepared from it.
How to delay start instant pot?
Advanced instant pots have a timer function that allows you to delay the cooking times. It does not work for “Keep warm” and “Saute” functions. Follow the steps below to set the instant pot for delayed cooking.
- Set a cooking program according to your recipe.
- Then immediately press the “Timer” key. Use “ ” and “ “ to set the delayed hours as you like. Then press the “Timer” key again to change the minutes. The set time is the delayed time before the instant pot starts operating at the set cooking program.
- After the second press on the timer key, the “Timer” function starts within 10 seconds. The countdown timer starts on the LED display and the flashing green indicator on the “Timer” key appears solid green.
- To cancel the timer operation, press the “KeepWarm / Cancel” button at any time. The
- Instant Pot will automatically start the cooking process when the timer counts down to 0. Once the food is cooked, the pot will switch to an automatic ‘Keep Warm’ cycle for about 10 hours.
Mistakes to avoid
- Never put perishable foods like meat and fish for longer than 2 hours in the pot. They will start to go bad.
- Rice will become mushy or overly soft If it is soaked for too long periods. Leaving the rice in the “Keep warm” mode for too long will result in the burning of the bottom layer.
- Do not use the timer function for sticky foods like oatmeal and porridge. They will prevent the float valve from sealing leading to overflowing of the contents of the pot.
- Do not leave the instant pot unattended during the preheating time. When using the timer function, you walk away from your instant pot, thus, the abovementioned food should never be cooked in the IP on the timer function.
Instant pot stuck on preheat
This is a very common problem for newcomers. The display panel reads as “ON’ when the pot is preheating. After reaching the set temperature, It starts to pressurize to trigger the timer. The following factors may be the reason why your instant pot is stuck in the preheating phase.
Release valve not set to seal
If the release valve is set on the vent instead of the seal, It won’t pressurize and the cooking process won’t start. Once the pot starts to pressurize, you will notice steam coming out of the float valve and not the release valve.
Seals misaligned or damaged
If the sealing rings are misaligned or damaged, they won’t let the pressure build upon using the Instant Pot, check the seals. Replace them every 12-16 months. You must have at least two rounds and use different levels for sweet and sour dishes.
How to Cook Chickpeas in Instant Pot using Delay Start?
- dry chickpeas
- Wash chickpeas in a bowl and rinse them two to three times. Drain the water.
- Take it in an instant pot bowl. cover with water.
- Put it in the instant pot.
- Select high-pressure cooking mode for 25 minutes. Then select the delayed start time and select the cooking start time,
- In my case, I did all this at 11 pm. So I chose a 7-hour time frame to get ready in the morning.
- Ensure tight position.
- Now, leave him alone.
- When I arrived in the morning, the chickpeas were well cooked.
Is It Possible To Scale The Recipe Up Or Down?
I usually make my porridge for 2 people, but it would easily be possible to make it for just 1 person by halving the ingredients in all pot sizes. You could also double the quantities in all-size pots to serve people.
For larger servings simply scale up using 1 part oats to 2 parts of liquid depending on your pot size. Timings will remain the same although for larger portions I would allow a full nonpressure release to ensure the porridge is fully cooked.
Ensure dry beans are completely submerged in water. Dried beans double in volume and weight after soaking or cooking. To avoid overflow, please do not fill the inner pot more than to the ½ mark to allow for expansion.
In the brief guide, we discussed answering the question ‘how to delay start instant pot’ with a depth analysis of which methods we used to start it and which precautions we should keep in mind when starting it. Also highlighted which recipes we prepared from it.