In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “How to keep sweet potatoes from turning brown after peeling?” with an in-depth analysis of what causes sweet potatoes to turn brown?. Moreover, we are going to discuss the best ways to store sweet potatoes.
How to keep sweet potatoes from turning brown after peeling?
By following these tips you can keep the sweet potatoes from turning brown after peeling;
- By placing them in a bowl of water.
- By adding some salt to the water.
- By adding lime or lemon juice.
Place them in a bowl of water:
When you set sweet potatoes in a bowl of water, it keeps air from entering the cells and causing the reaction.
By adding some salt to the water:
Salt keeps the sweet potatoes from turning brown after peeling but if you don’t want to cook them salty, wash them before cooking.
By adding lime or lemon juice:
These two citric acid-based remedies will prevent browning.
If your sweet potatoes are turning black due to spoilage, you should:
- Remove any rotten potatoes and any slightly brown spots where the meat can be recovered.
- Examine your storage options, and keep your potatoes in a cold, dark spot.
- Consume them within two weeks, before any brown patches emerge.
- Freeze and preserve them before they decay.
What causes sweet potatoes to turn brown?
When you cut sweet potatoes, the enzymes in the cells react with the oxygen in the air, causing the flesh to turn dark.
What should you do if your sweet potatoes turn brown?
Supposing the blackening has not spread too far, simply peel away the black pieces, and the rest of the sweet potato is safe to eat.
Is it possible for sweet potatoes to spoil?
Yes, sweet potatoes can go bad, when cooked with other ingredients.
How do you know that sweet potato goes bad?
The following are the signs that you know sweet potatoes go bad:
- Sweet potatoes have passed their prime if they become soft or mushy. The same can be said about sweet potatoes that have become a deep brown to black.
- Examine your skin for any abnormal growths or the presence of mold. If the sweet potatoes have developed an odor, discard them.
- In cooked or mashed sweet potatoes, look for mold. If the sweet potatoes have developed an off-color or flavor, they are no longer safe to ingest.
How to keep raw cut sweet potatoes fresh?
Keep raw cut sweet potatoes in a cold, dark, and dry place. They should not be refrigerated because temperatures that are too cold or even too high will harm them. Raw sliced sweet potatoes can be stored in a cool, dry area for up to two months.
What are the best ways to store sweet potatoes?
The following are some different methods for storing sweet potatoes;
- Place them in an unrefrigerated cool and dry place.
- Place them in the freezer.
- Place them in cold water.
Place them in an unrefrigerated cool and dry place:
Using this method, raw chopped sweet potatoes can be stored for up to two months. Throughout storage, temperatures should be kept between 55 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Furthermore, the environment should be dark and dry, with the sweet potatoes left uncovered. Under these conditions, sweet potatoes can last two to four weeks.
Place them in the freezer:
- Although cooked sweet potatoes freeze better than raw sweet potatoes, freezing them is still important to keep them fresh. A saucepan of water should be brought to a boil while you wash, chop, and peel the sweet potatoes.
- Removing the skin is optional, although it is recommended to prevent bacteria from migrating from the potato’s skin to the sweet potato itself. When the water boils, add some sweet potatoes to it and wait until they boil, drain the water and transfer them to a bowl, and freeze. Frozen raw sweet potatoes can be preserved for up to a year in a deep freezer.
Place them in cold water:
When it comes to chopped sweet potatoes, they should be kept in the fridge for a week or two if properly preserved. After chopping the potatoes, place them in an airtight container with water in your refrigerator’s vegetable drawer. The vegetables should be kept for a few days in there, but it’s best to utilize them within 24 hours.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “How to keep sweet potatoes from turning brown after peeling?” with an in-depth analysis of What causes sweet potatoes to turn brown?. Moreover, we discussed the best ways to store sweet potatoes.