In this brief guide, we are going to answer the question “My bread smells like alcohol can I eat it?” with an in-depth analysis of what can you do to prevent this alcohol smell?. Moreover, we are going to discuss how to make bread without yeast.
My bread smells like alcohol. Can I eat it?
Yes, you can eat bread that smells like alcohol because alcohol is produced through the fermentation process of yeast and has a lingering aroma. If you bake bread dough, the smell will disappear.
What can you do to prevent this alcohol smell?
There are many ways to reduce the amount of alcohol that is present in the bread dough.
- Use preferment
- Use less yeast
Kneading is the most important process in the bread-making process. Kneading develops gluten that is elastic and extensible. If you are making bread without a first rise, or if the first rise is less than 1 hour, you should focus on kneading so, if you knead the dough well, yeast will produce less alcohol and will rise faster.
Use a preferment:
Yeast increases the amount of alcohol in the dough. So, you should add Organic aid which produces gas in this case you use less yeast. Alcohol is produced as the preference develops, that’s why the bread smells like alcohol.
Use less yeast:
As you all know, yeast produces alcohol, if you use more yeast, it gives an unwanted aroma. The typical percentage of yeast used in bread recipes is expressed as a percentage of the total amount of flour used. Most bread recipes call for 2% fresh yeast, which translates to 1% active dried yeast and 0.8% quick yeast.
How to make bread?
The following are the ingredients that are needed to make bread:
- 3/4 cup warm water 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Pour warm water into the pot, stir in the yeast until it dissolves slowly. After that, add salt, sugar, and milk into the bowl and mix well. Add 2 cups of flour to it and knead. After mixing the bread dough, set it aside and let it rise. When the dough rises, knead the dough until it is soft and smooth for almost 10 minutes.
- Grease the dough from both sides, cover the dough, place it in a warm place, and let the dough rise. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. After that, again set it aside, cover it and let it rise for 30 more minutes. You can preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Use a sharp knife to make three slashes over the top. Place the bread in the oven and bake for about 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the loaf of bread and set it aside to cool completely.
How to make bread without yeast?
The following ingredients are needed to make bread without yeast;
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or buttermilk substitute
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Take a bowl, add flour, baking soda, salt, and whisk. Add 2 tablespoons of melted butter, buttermilk and mix well. Knead the dough for 10 minutes and give it a round shape. Take a non-stick sheet or baking sheet and transfer the dough in it.
- Bake the bread for almost 35 minutes. Before slicing, set it aside and let it cool.
Honey Oat bread:
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 ¼ teaspoons yeast
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 – 2½ cups white whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup oats
Take a bowl, add water, yeast, and honey to it and mix. Let stand for 5 minutes until bubbly. Then mix olive oil, oats, and 1 tbsp salt in it. Mix cups of all-purpose flour and white whole wheat flour. Knead the dough for 5 minutes.
Grease the bowl and place the dough in the bowl, wrap it with plastic and set it aside until risen. Divide the dough into two. Place the loaves into greased bowls or pans, set them aside for 30 minutes. Sprinkle the oats on bread, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake it for 40 minutes. After that, let it cool, cut into slices and eat.
How to Store and Freeze?
You can store bread in a plastic sealed bag for 3-4 days at room temperature. You can also freeze the bread in the sealed plastic bag and then wrap it in the foil, due to the shorter life period you should use it within 6 months.
In this brief guide, we answered the question “My bread smells like alcohol. can I eat it?” with an in-depth analysis of what can you do to prevent this alcohol smell?. Moreover, we discussed how to make bread without yeast.