In this short study, we are going to answer the question ” Why do they call it drunken noodles?” with an in-depth analysis of methods of making drunken noodles. Furthermore, we are also going to discuss the history of drunken noodles.
Why do they call it drunken noodles?
We call them drunken noodles not because they are made with alcohol but because there is a story behind these noodles that is more likely not true. The creator of these drunken noodles came home drunk and hungry and began to cook the noodles with any ingredients found in the pantry. Later on, this dish became popular in Thailand.
Why are these noodles called drunken?
In Thai drunken noodles are called Pad Kee Mao. Food drunkenness is the state of a person when he consumes large amounts of food. These are called drunken because of the theory that these spicy noodles can be eaten only with an ice-cold beer. This dish is very popular in Thailand and Thai restaurants outside Thailand.
How can you differentiate Pad Thai from drunken noodles?
Pad thai is a noodle dish that is made of tamarind sauce. It incorporates fish sauce and palm sugar that gives it a sweet taste. Whereas drunken noodles are made from a mixture of sauces like soy sauce, fish sauce, and oyster sauce. We add different vegetables and rice noodles to it.
Is Pad Thai healthier than drunken noodles?
Drunken noodles are healthier than Pad Thai because Pad Thai has 357 calories per cup and drunken noodles have 323 calories per cup. Pad thai is unhealthy because it is made from coconut oil, peanut oil, soybean oil, or palm oil. Coconut is saturated with fat that can be bad for your heart health if it is consumed in excess.
Which ingredients can you use to make drunken noodles?
You can add holy basil to the noodles to give a herbal sweetness. For additive flavor, you can add soy sauce, garlic, hearty chili mix, and fish sauce. Drunken noodles are often made by adding different vegetables like carrots, bell peppers, corn, broccoli, and bean sprouts. You can also add chicken, beef, or see food as a protein source.
How can we make drunken noodles?
We can make drunken noodles by following this recipe:
● 150 grams of rice noodles
● 3 minced garlic cloves
● 2 large chopped shallots
● Half sliced red pepper
● Half sliced green pepper
● A small cut off the head of broccoli
● One medium-sized carrot, cut into slices
● 15 cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
● 1 ½ tablespoon of light soy sauce or 1 tablespoon mushroom flavored dark soy sauce
● 2 teaspoons of sugar
● 1 to 3 tablespoons of sriracha or other Asian chili sauce according to taste
● A small bunch of holy or Thai or Italian basil in pieces.
● Fresh cilantro, a small bunch
● Lime wedges for serving
- First of all, soak the rice noodles in warm water until they become tender. Then drain them and wash them with cold water. Drain the noodles again and reserve them.
- Put a large skillet on medium to high flame. Add some oil to it and then add garlic and shallots. Stir them until they become soft.
- Then add the vegetable; peppers, broccoli, and carrots with a few drops of water and stir fry them until they are soft.
- In a bowl, combine the chili sauce, soy sauce, and sugar. Add the cherry tomatoes and noodles to the skillet then pour the sauces into the skillet.
- Mix it for one to two minutes until the noodles are hot. Then remove it from heat and add half of the basil.
- Put your noodles onto the serving plate and garnish it with the remaining basil, lime wedges, and coriander.
Here are some recipes for drunken noodles that you may try.
Can vegetarians eat rice noodles?
Yes, vegetarians can eat rice noodles because they are made from rice which is a plant. Vegetarians follow a strict diet plan that excludes meat, fish, eggs, dairy products, shellfish, honey and eats a 100% vegetable diet only. And rice falls in the vegetable category.
What is the history of rice noodles?
Rice noodles originated from China and have been eaten there for more than 2000 years. Rice noodles originated there during the Qin Dynasty (259-210 BC). In the southern area of China, they preferred wheat noodles and did not use rice noodles but then they began to eat noodles made with rice, and later on this dish spread around the world.
In this short study, we answered the question ” Why do they call it drunken noodles?” with an in-depth analysis of methods of making drunken noodles. Furthermore, we also discussed the history of drunken noodles.